Friday 31 January 2014

PROPOSAL

                                                            

BA (Hons) Photographic Arts

CONTEMPORARY  PHOTOGRAPHIC PRACTICES 2013/14
Proposal


This is only intended to give us an idea of your areas of interest etc so that you can be put into more coherent tutor groups. Fill in as much as you can – don’t worry about being vague at this stage. Remember - this is not to be seen as a contract that you need to stick to but rather a starting point. If you have more than one idea then include both/all of them.
You must bring this to the first group tutorial.

Name Lorna Patrick

Subject Area                                   
(what will your subject matter be?  what are your areas of interest?)

I’m not really sure of the exact subject matter yet but I have a large amount of disposable cameras that I would like to use. I am interested in taking the images out of my hands and giving them to others like I have done before and in my previous project I worked with ‘selfies’ or self portraits. Through having a large amount of cameras allows for a large amount of potential images which I think a project like this works a lot better if there are a larger amount of images.

I have a few ideas of what I could potentially do but I’m just currently not sure where to go with it as there are so many things that I could do.

Ideas:
- Giving the cameras out to different people and asking them to take a number of different images all showing no human presence, this would link back to my previous work but also my most recent, almost by linking the two together although I think the thing that works well with the disposable camera images with the snapshot images is the human presence as it gives it more character.

-I could potentially give the camera out to people and ask them to either take the picture themselves or get someone to take a picture with one showing themselves as they truly are and one showing themselves in a way which doesn’t portray their personality at all. Through having these on the disposable camera it not only gives more of a snapshot aesthetic which works with the ideas of not knowing which is the truth and which isn’t as disposable cameras images give off the ideas essentially of being taken for a personal reason, or occasion instead of being for the photographic project as that is generally what it is used for. I’m really interested in the idea of the unknown for this.

-I am also thinking about using the cameras for a documentary purpose by giving the cameras out to people and asking them to use the camera to document something that they are doing. This could be their day at work, something they’re going off to do, essentially it could be anything. Just one day, of their choosing. The images could be interesting and again it’s the idea of the unknown and giving the choices to these people.

-I am also thinking of potentially asking them to document something specific. I’m not sure what yet. I am thinking about the idea of asking them to photograph one specific object so that the final piece would be this sheer amount of this one object. I would want it to be something that could potentially relate to overwhelming feelings, because with the final piece that will be the feeling given off, because there will be so many images. With this idea, a few guidelines would work best as I think a sense of unison within all of the images would work best. For this at the moment, I am thinking about the idea of beauty products, it works well with a project that I have been recently working on and looking at what it takes to make a woman beautiful as today there are so many products used. I could send out cameras to different women asking them to photograph the products they use. I am interested in a lot of ideas that surround this but I am unsure whether this is the way to go for this project.

-I could give people the cameras and give them a word and ask them to take pictures relating to that word.

I want this project to be more than literally being just photographs of something. I want there to be meaning behind it because for me, I think that is what makes a photographic project strong.


Genre
(eg documentary/fashion/portraiture/constructed/landscape etc)

Potentially documentary, it just depends on the specific idea that I end up using.

Medium/Form
(photography, video, multimedia)

Photography using disposable cameras

Context
(Gallery/magazine/book/advertising/educational etc)

Either a gallery or book, it could potentially work for both but honestly it depends which idea I go with. Gallery is probably most likely.

                                                           
Influences / References
(which photographers/artists/filmmakers/writers etc are you interested in?)

The influences depend on the ideas but here are a list of those that have influenced me to come across the ideas I have discussed

-Broomberg and Chanarin ‘Ghetto’ – handing the control of the imagery to the subject

-Rolls Tohoku – Documentation of an earthquake where disposable cameras were given to victims and they photographed anything of their choosing.

-Tepsic Magazine – a music magazine that documents what it is like to live in the life of your favourite musician. Cameras are given to them by the magazine.

-Dispose – The give disposable cameras out to people around the world of their choosing including musicians and photograpers etc. They are asked to document one day in 27 exposures taking one photo per hour including a self portrait.

-The disposable memory project – a global photography experiment where disposable cameras are left in places around the world with a message inviting the finder to pick up the camera, take some pictures and pass the camera on, the camera is then returned home and shared on a website.

For the beauty idea:

- Natural Beauty by Lernert and Sander

- Naomi Wolf ‘The Beauty Myth’


ETC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment