Wednesday 23 April 2014

TESTING BOOK LAYOUTS

Although I am looking into this piece for exhibition purposes, I also think it would work really well within a book format and through looking into other artists work, ie. Jules Spinatsch, it shows that you have to find a way to resolve a piece of work in a number of ways. It is never fully resolved in one way as in one place it may work well that way, but the next it may not. The same format for one gallery may not work with the next, and that same format may not work within a book. As opportunities arise to have the work shown within different contexts different resolutions need to be realised. I don't think this project, much like with other projects that aren't just straight photography in, lets say a triptich that must always be shown within that way, will ever be fully resolved. It will continue to change depending on the location it is shown in. And even though I may like the grid format that I am working on for gallery at the minute, that long grid may not work in other formats.

I am looking into potential book layouts as I do think this is a definite possibility within this project. It could work really well and gives the opportunity for the project to be shown in different ways within the same place. This project has a number of ways that it could be looked into - by person, by question etc. and it's hard to know which way it should be shown in (which is why the grid format works well, it shows it in both ways while allowing the viewer to look back and compare the imagery) and this same format works well within the book. It allows the viewer to flick back between the pages, comparing each of the images, while still viewing them individually. Something you wouldn't necessarily be able to do in a grid format.

POTENTIAL PAGE LAYOUTS


OR



OR


(these should all be white backgrounds, I'm not sure why it is coming out grey)

I think I would use the font Helvetica as I think that this font works effectively with most and it's very easy to read. I don't want anything too complicated and so I think that a simple font would work best.

With regards to which format works best, it's very hard to decipher and actually I think the last one works best. I like the space around the image with the smaller writing underneath. The next/previous page would be the same format with the writing underneath and if there is no image, then there would be no image above the writing. I think this space works effectively as I want to draw attention to the fact that there wasn't an image that came out for that shot.

I think quite a large scale book would work effectively as I would like to show the images in the grid either at the front or back of the book. I think this would work well across the two pages and so the bigger the book the more visible the images would be. I like the idea of showing the image in this number of ways.

I also think it would work effectively if along with showing it per person, by showing it per question.

POTENTIAL BOOK LAYOUT 1


  • Front cover
  • Blank page
  • Project explanation
  • Blank Page
  • By Subject
  • Blank page
  • Subject 1
  • Blank page
  • Image
  • Blank Page
  • Image
etc (through all subjects & images per page) then.... 

  • Blank page
  • By Image
  • Blank Page
  • Go to the next room and take a photograph of an object that stands out to you 
  • Blank page
  • Image
  • Blank Page
  • Image
etc. 

  • Blank page
  • Grid
  • double page spread of grid image

POTENTIAL BOOK LAYOUT 2

  • Front cover
  • Blank page
  • Project explanation 
  • Blank page
  • By Subject
  • Blank page
  • Subject 1
  • Blank page
  • Image
  • Blank Page
  • Image
etc (through all subjects & images per page) then.... 

  • Blank page
  • By image
  • Blank Page
  • Image description (ie. Circle)
  • Blank Page
  • Grid of 9 images showing each of the images, with the same person in the same place each time
etc. Same each time. 

  • Blank page
  • Grid
  • Double page grid of all images & Q's in large grid

Looking at each of these possibilities, I actually think the second would work best. I like the possibility of having more grids in the book. The point of having them each way is to allow the reader of the book to view the images in a different way. Through doing this, you can view the images individually though the 'By subject' while still being able to flick through and look a the type of images that that one person took. The next type 'By image' the grids work effectively by allowing you to be able to see images together, and the grid of 9 would look visually effective. And then the grid at the end allows the viewers to see all of the images together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment